Re: Gnome bug 94684

    Raphael> It's a pity we have to keep all those upstream bugs in
    Raphael> the Debian BTS when there's an upstream BTS. Each
    Raphael> maintainer should be able to decide if he wants to keep
    Raphael> the upstream forwarded bug. I'd like to be able to close
    Raphael> those upstream bugs by sending a mail to
    Raphael> xxx-done@bugs.debian.org giving the reference of the bugs
    Raphael> submitted to the upstream BTS.

    Raphael> Because it regularly happens that the bug is ignored
    Raphael> upstream and then the BTS gets bloated with upstream
    Raphael> bugs, making it more difficult to manage the bugs that
    Raphael> are really Debian related.

Thats the reason why you can mark the bug as forwarded upstream.

It means that other people who encounter the same problem only have
one spot to check for bugs.

For instance, if I encounter a bug in Gnome, and maybe I am not sure
if it is upstream or not[1], I don't want to have to check n different
BTS systems to see if anything similar has been reported. If it was
this much work, I'd simply not bother filing the bug report (I usually
don't have time to file a bug report, let alone searching for existing
reports). This in turn would prevent the maintainer/author from
getting my valuable feedback.

If of course, you consider it too difficult to manage upstream bugs
using Debian's BTS, then the BTS needs fixing to make this easier.

Note:

[1] then again, the same applies even if it I know it is an upstream
bug. I don't want to have to go to efforts to find the upstream BTS
system and/or subscribe to upstream mailing lists either. In
comparison, the Debian maintainer probably already subscribes to the
mailing lists, and has the upstream BTS book marked.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>