Re: Gnome bug 94684

Hi Patrick,

On Sun, 29 Apr 2001, Patrick von der Hagen wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 26, 2001 at 02:09:51PM +0800, zhaoway wrote:
> [...]
> > upstream issue? I agree that if you're a noname random clueless mere
> > user then the package maintainer shouldn't just close this usibility
> > bug blindly.
> Well, actually I am a noname random clueless mere user.
> But I don't seen, why a bug-report made by a debian-developer should be
> treated differently?

Whereas all bugs may be created equal, all bug reports are not.  If an
upstream developer receives a bug report from a Debian developer with whom she
has a good working relationship, she's reasonably assured that the bug report
has been confirmed as a real bug, has been researched, and includes, if not a
patch, at least an analysis that will help the upstream fix the problem.  I'm
not saying that all Debian developers always produce such thorough reports,
nor that mortal users cannot produce bug reports of this quality; but most
users lack experience in submitting good bug reports, and Debian maintainers,
at least, know what a bad bug report looks like. :)  If the upstream
maintainer knows by looking at the mail header that the bug report from
foo-maintainer@debian.org is of quality, and suspects that the other bug says
"Your software doesn't compile on AIX: please fix it", which bug report do you
think she will look at first? :)

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer