Re: 2.4.x Kernel, ECN And Problem Websites

On Wednesday 25 April 2001 21:49, Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 05:12:48PM +0200, Russell Coker wrote:
> > No.  ECN should be compiled in to all kernels!  The issue is whether the
> > sysctl is set to enable it by default or not.
> >
> > I think that we should all be using ECN and reporting the bugs to the
> > people who run the broken routers.  Hotmail have fixed their routers.  I
> > have reported the problems to Compaq regarding their routers.
>
> True, but often very little, if anything, gets done. about it; seeing as
> it's just a very small percentage of Linux users. A lot of people are in
> the production mentality, and figure that if it only breaks for 3 Linux
> people ...

If you have a serious server you don't want it to break for anyone.  If your
machine breaks for some portion of the Linux user base then when someone
reports problems with your site you won't know if that person uses Linux, if
they use an ISP with a Linux web cache etc, or if it's something else.

Professional network administrators fix all problems they know of.  It's the
only way to control a network!

> > It's not that difficult to track down the offending sites and report the
> > problem to the network administrators!
>
> No, but it's just difficult to get anything changed.

Hotmail got changed!