Re: Packages not making it into testing

On Thu, Apr 26, 2001 at 01:07:58AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
[...]

> task-python-dev just depends on -imaging-tk.
>
> So this means python can't be updated without also updating palm-doctoolkit
> and python-imaging, and those can't be updated without updating python.
>
> Further some of the binary packages from python-imaging in sid depend on
> python2, which isn't in testing yet. So they can't go in until python2
> does. Python2 at the moment isn't going in because the last upload was
> only 8 days ago, and looks like it has strict enough dependencies that
> it won't go in until it's built on m68k.
>
> There may be other things involved too, but I suspect not.

I see.

So that means the python, palm-doctoolkit and python-imaging packages in
unstable are somehow 'grouped' together, and since python-imaging also
depends on python2, they all depend on python2 being moved into testing ?

Hmm, does this mean that although update_excuses.html says '(but m68k isn't
keeping up, so ignoring this problem)', the lack of m68k packages will hold
back the move of python2 into testing ? Is this because some python-imaging
packages depend on python2-tk, and because it would not be  available in
testing ? Hmm, I'm starting to understand...

> > If there's a reason that keeps the package out of testing, it would be nice
> > to have that reason explained as well. Is that being worked on ? If nobody
> > else is working on this, could somebody give me a hint where to start
> > working on improving the status output ?
>
> http://ftp-master.debian.org/testing/ says where the code is and so forth.
> Hacking on the code isn't very straightforward; if you like you can write
> some sort of filter for the various output that's already there to make it
> more comprehensible. Arm does this to get a list of out of date packages for
> arm that don't have RC bugs against them already, eg.

I see. Well, after you explained the lines in update_output.txt, I think I
see better what's going on.

    Gregor