Re: kernel-{image,headers} package bloat

On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 07:41:03AM +1000, Herbert Xu wrote:
> Andreas Metzler <ametzler@downhill.at.eu.org> wrote:
>
> > Are these *really* necessary? Who does need them, people who compile
>
> Yes.  By all module builders, especially those outside Debian.
>
> > external kernel-modules (alsa, lm-sensors, ...)? Can't these
> > people simply install kernel-source, extract it to /tmp and set $KSRC?

(A lot of) Netfilter stuff also doesn't go in the kernel without patching
the kernel proper. Plus, your own hacks don't work too well, especially when
it's to existing code.

(Replying to Andreas:)

Plus, I don't see any kernel packages for 2.4.3-ac12+loadsa netfilter
patches out there. Could you please point me to them, and then I will become
a convert to this argument, and use kernel .deb's?

-d

--
Daniel Stone
Linux Kernel Developer