Re: kernel-{image,headers} package bloat

On Sun, Apr 22, 2001 at 10:23:04PM +1000, Herbert Xu wrote:
> Craig Sanders <cas@taz.net.au> wrote:
>
> > in that case, a far better solution is a package containing a bunch
> > of pre-generated kernel .config files, plus a menu script to copy
> > your choice to the right subdirectory (e.g. /usr/local/src/linux or
> > wherever)...then run "make menuconfig" or "make xconfig" to let you
> > tweak the .config before compiling.
>
> > that would be one package, taking maybe a few hundred kilobytes total.
>
> > call it kernel-helper and make it depend on kernel-package.
>
> > problem solved.
>
> But why not take this one step further, let's just distribute what's
> in build-essential and let the users compile the rest.  Let's rewind
> the clock back to times when men were men, and they compiled everything
> on their own box :)

Well, this is foolish.

Craig is arguing for one (or a few) kernel packages rather than a
multitude of them.  It's difficult to install debian if there's not at
least one kernel-image package, eh?

Your hypthetical is calling for distributing zero packages, in which
case we no longer have a distribution.  Some people prefer that
approach, but they probably aren't using debian at all.

Micromuse Ltd.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.