Re: FYI: dh_upx compresses i386 executables

On Sat, 21 Apr 2001 19:38:44 +0100
Philip Blundell <philb@gnu.org> wrote:

> >For these reasons, I agree with the sentiment that UPX should be used
on
> >almost all (if not all) executables shipped with Debian.
>
> No: being unable to share text between multiple copies of a single
program is
> too serious a drawback - think about people who have tens or hundreds of

> instances of bash, xterm, sshd, ftpd or so on running.  It might
possibly
> make sense for large, infrequently executed programs.  Or you could
invent
> some friendly way for the admin to automatically apply UPX to binaries
after
> each package has been installed, if he so chooses.  But it shouldn't be
the
> default.

Ohh, yes, you're right -- the kernel ordinarily caches the binary in
memory
once...

Well, okay, how about filesystem-level compression? Does that e2compr
thing
work on 2.4? Is there something else like that?

Regards,

Alex.