Re: ITP: task-printing

On 20.IV.2001 at 07:10 (+1000) Anthony Towns wrote:

> > Depends: gs | gs-aladdin, .... magicfilter | apsfilter,
>
> I don't think it's meaningful to have a task with |'s in its dependencies:
> tasksel doesn't particularly handle that. Either both should be depended
> on, or one should be picked. (gs-aladdin is non-free and provides: gs,
> so it isn't an issue; apsfilter v magicfilter is trickier, I guess).

Usualy apt installs the the first alternative (magicfilter in our
case), but suppose someone has apsfilter installed and invokes
`apt-get install task-printing'.  I think that alternatives are
usefull in task packages too (sometimes).

> > Suggests: ppd-gs, gimp1.2-print, gnuplot, ifhp, lexmark7000linux,
> > pbm2ppa, libgnomeprint11, libgnomeprint-bin, libgnomeprint-data,
> > lprng-doc, tetex-bin
>
> Suggests aren't really useful at all: tasksel doesn't display them, apt-get
> doesn't install them, and if you're using dselect it's probably too late.

Exactly.  But we can see than in current unstable distribution many
task packages use suggests.  For example I had to use dselect when I
installed task-kde.  On the other side not everyone wants all
KDE-related programs on their computer.  Surely some day someone will
invent a good solution to that problem. ;-)

In task-printing I used suggestions for informative purposes.  The
package tetex-bin provides dvips but requires tetex distribution.  I
guess if someone wants to print a dvi file, then she probably has
tetex installed.

Some of the other suggested packages are too specialized, but require
additional software (for example gimp1.2-print requires gimp).  I
would moved ppd-gs and lexmark7000linux in the list of the depended
packages, but they doesn't have clean installation.

Anton Zinoviev, zinoviev@debian.org