Re: ALL: PARANOID from /etc/hosts.deny Should be Commented by default

On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 11:49:30PM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> Don't you think standards are important? Properly configured DNS
> has both forward-lookup A records and reverse-lookup PTR records.
> We shouldn't encourage anyone to compromise on that, because
> it is not difficult to configure.

It's not our job to enforce this, especially when it causes interoperability
problems.  "Be conservative in what you send, liberal in what you receive."
That's the axiom, right?

> In these days of spam, hacker attacks etc we don't need any
> less audit trail, I'm sure you'll agree.

You're correct.  Again, please provide me with the list of services that log
only hostnames and I'll shut up.

--Adam

--
Adam McKenna  <adam@debian.org>  <adam@flounder.net>