Re: ALL: PARANOID from /etc/hosts.deny Should be Commented by default

On Wed, 18 Apr 2001, Ethan Benson wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 04:09:32AM +0200, PiotR wrote:
>
> > I'm talking about the _majority_of_debian_users_ or not-so-good-netadmins that have no idea of what it means. How can I, as a client, edit the servers file and remove it?  :-D
> >

> clueless admins don't run debian, they run roothat.

Well, I'm about as clueless as they come when it comes to system admin.
That's why I have a sparc that can make a ppp connection to the internet
via modem, but I can't even ping outside the box because (I assume now,
after reading this thread) of some ALL: PARANOID lines in various deny
files on that system.

I haven't had the time to investigate that further because I've lost my X
server trying to upgrade to xf4 and there is some stupid admin problem
that I've been unable to decipher, even with the help of this list.

On top of this I'm trying to get together enough information to bid on a
contract for work, and must rely on lynx to surf the web for the spec
documents I need. Not to badmouth lynx, but it is a text browser...

Anyway, cluelessness is not a restriction to using Debian. I am the prime
example ;-)

I can't argue with all the security experts making sweeping statements
about the obvious utility of this option, but I can speak for all the
clueless admins out there when I say, "Stop changing things on upgrades! I
want my system to work the same way after the upgrade as before!"

Things like the location of init scripts and who gets run under what
conditions have been a real moving target to those "self taught" among us,
and I'm always asking for help whenever I upgrade one of "those" packages.

I never ran into this until I upgraded to potato, so the practice has
changed. I still don't understand the rational for doing that, even after
all this discussion.

Luck,

Dwarf
--
_-_-_-_-_-   Author of "Dwarf's Guide to Debian GNU/Linux"  _-_-_-_-_-_-