Re: ALL: PARANOID from /etc/hosts.deny Should be Commented by default

On Wed, Apr 18, 2001 at 11:01:00PM -0700, Adam McKenna wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 03:22:26AM +0200, Robert van der Meulen wrote:
> We already ask people for local networks during installation.  How hard would
> it to add an extra question or two?
> "Do you want to only allow connections from these local networks?"
> "Do you want to add more allowed networks?"
> etc.  These are not hard questions.  They require a minimal amount of
> networking knowledge to answer, and if the user doesn't even have THAT much
> clue, then they can just accept the default.

I'm not sure that it will be a good idea to add more questions to the installation proccess. At least not in the *simple* installation method. I've always been in favor of the text based install, but making more and more technical questions will help to scare debutant debian users. I don't think every debian user knows about networking.
And if one want to put ip filtering rules, IMHO the best way is to use iptables. or ipchains. That requiere tcp/ip networking knowledge.
Do we  want to put an iptables front-end at installation time? *ugh*
I would like to hear what the package mantainers related to this have to say.

--
Pedro Larroy Tovar. PiotR | http://omega.resa.es/piotr/
piotr@omega.resa.es