Re: ITP: kdict

On 22 Jan 2001, Bob Hilliard wrote:

>Radovan Garabik <garabik@melkor.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk> writes:
>
>> from README:
>> Kdict is a graphical client for the DICT Protocol.
>> It enables you to search through dictionary-like databases
>> for a word or phrase, then displays suitable definitions.
>
>     How does this compare with the wordinspect program?  wordinspect
>needs a lot of improvement, but I don't like GUI programs, so I have
>never done anything with it.  If you can merge wordinspect into kdict
>or otherwise improve it, I would be happy to give it to you.
>
>> licence: I pondered a bit about it, but it seems to comform
>> to DFSG (opinions?)
>
>>         5. You may charge a reasonable copying fee for any distribution of
>>         this Package. You may charge any fee you choose for support of this
>>         Package. You may not charge a fee for this Package itself. However,
>>         you may distribute this Package in aggregate with other (possibly
>>         commercial) programs as part of a larger (possibly commercial)
>>         software distribution provided that you do not advertise this
>>         Package as a product of your own.
>
>     I don't think this is DFSG free.

Artistic license: clause 5

5. You may charge a reasonable copying fee for any distribution of this
Package.  You may charge any fee you choose for support of this
Package.  You may not charge a fee for this Package itself.  However,
you may distribute this Package in aggregate with other (possibly
commercial) programs as part of a larger (possibly commercial) software
distribution provided that you do not advertise this Package as a
product of your own.  You may embed this Package's interpreter within
an executable of yours (by linking); this shall be construed as a mere
form of aggregation, provided that the complete Standard Version of the
interpreter is so embedded.

That clause looks as if it was literally lifted from the Artistic
license and the parts about Standard Version deleted.

--
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.