Re: Solution strategy: Re: use and abuse of debconf

On Mon, Jan 22, 2001 at 12:54:17AM -0500, Matt Zimmerman wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 21, 2001 at 08:00:27PM -0800, Joey Hess wrote:
> > I'm not comfortable putting it in debconf for a variety of reasons, amoung
> > them are the fact that some people want to allow cdebconf to be used as a
> > drop in replacement, and also the fact that I'm not at all interested in
> > maintaining the shared templates.
>
> Sounds fair.  I would be willing to maintain such a package.

I've been thinking about this, and I'm concerned about the availability of the
templates at configuration time.  Is there any way to ensure that this package
would be unpacked in time for preconfiguration?  Will debconf fail gracefully
if a template is requested in .config that doesn't exist?

I like the idea of having shared templates stored in one place, as it allows
them to be corrected and translated much more easily.  If there is a way to do
this without including the templates with debconf, I am willing to do the work
to make it happen.

--
 - mdz