Re: Install and RAID

On 22-Jan-01, 07:55 (CST), Russell Coker <russell@coker.com.au> wrote:
> One major advantage of what I suggested is the following situation (which
> happens often):
>
> 1)  Someone with minimal knowledge gets an install CD and installs a system.
> 2)  Someone else adds some server programs and it becomes an important server.
> 3)  I get called in to make the machine a serious server but I aren't allowed
> to re-install.

Find new clients. Clients who won't you let you do the work they hired
you to do aren't worth the trouble.

More to the point, I'm not real comfortable about making the default
install RAID capable, when (I'd guess) the majority of our users won't
ever use it. It seems an unnecessary complication.

Hmmm, what happens when I do a install with the RAID default, then
rebuild the kernel without RAID support...does it still work? Or do I
have to futz with the partition type? If the latter, I think making RAID
the default would be a bad idea.

OTOH, I think making "RAID capable" a install-time setup option is a
great idea, and off-hand (i.e. I have no real idea) doesn't seem like
significantly more work.

Steve

--
Steve Greenland <stevegr@debian.org>
(Please do not CC me on mail sent to this list; I subscribe to and read