Re: error with locales in glibc 2.2

At 18 Jan 2001 17:58:25 +0100,
Tomas Berndtsson <tomas@nocrew.org> wrote:

> >  Please check /etc/locale.gen, perhaps your sv_SE, en_GB (and so on)
> > is comented out in yours.
> >
> >  Uncoment these and run /usr/sbin/locale-gen
>
> Indeed you're right. I didn't know I had to choose which ones to be
> generated. What's the reason for this choice, instead of generating
> them all? Speed and size?

Size.  if we prepare all of locales, it would be too big for ordinary use.

> I also don't recall seeing anything about this when
> installing/upgrading locales or libc. Will my choices be automatically
> generated when upgrading from now on?

It should be displayed at installation time (in postinst)
Once you choose your locales in locale.gen, it will be automatically
generated in future upgrade.
Note that locale.gen is conffiles of locales package.

Regards,
Fumitoshi UKAI