Re: New-maintainer - STOP THAT SHIT

On Sat, Jan 13, 2001 at 10:04:19AM -0500, Ben Collins wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 13, 2001 at 10:03:47PM +1100, Daniel Stone wrote:
> > Here's the one great Ben Collins idea:
> > 	Let's boot all the developers who don't work on Debian 23.9 hours a
> > day and make them all work through sponsors!
>
> Oh and I love your exagerated misquotes. I never said we should get rid
> of any current developers. I just said to stop the increasing flow of
> new maintainers into the Debian ranks, since they don't all need to have
> accounts and email addy's to do work. And don't misquote me here again,
> and say that I am all for not letting people work on Debian, or making
> Debian closed. I never said to stop people from working on Debian, in
> their spare time, or full time. I'm just saying we don't need to dish
> out accounts and email addresses like candy at a house on halloween.
>
> Ben

I'm a nm too and I agree with you and others who think accounts aren't candy. I think a nm have to show before his interesting in debian development and his skills by working under sponsor. Then, when DAM think he is a good element and usefull for debian him can have accounts.

I'm waiting from june 1999 but I've only contacted DAM to know if he forgot me, he said me "not at all I'm so busy". So I think I'm not already able to be debian maintainer, when I'll be I'll have accounts. Finally I'll don't stop to work for debian, I can wait and package, fix an write docs under sponsor. Now I'm working on some packages: genesis, openvrml, meshio and 3dwm, all under sponsor. So have'nt accounts isn't a problem but is true can be a little slowly than have own accounts. For now I've found good sponsor and I thak them very much.

Bye

P.S. I hope this flame end and peoples understand acounts can be dangerous, them aren't candy, so any nm has to be worthy to have accounts.

Bye and thank very much every sponsor!

--
Maurizio Boriani
General Services (InterNetWorking Staff)