Re: PRE Version numbers

On Sun, Jan 14, 2001 at 11:38:21PM -0500, Jon Eisenstein wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Jan 2001, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > I wish he'd cut it out with that .sig.  As much as I might like to claim
> > credit for coining that aphorism, I cannot, as any person even modestly
> > well-read in English literature can tell you.
>
> Not to be taking us more off topic or anything, but it's also the
> inspiration for the title and layout of a great book by Asimov, The Gods
> Themselves. You see, it's in 3 parts, and the first is called "Against
> Stupidity", the second "The Gods Themselves" and finally, "Contend in
> Vain". And... yeah. Okay, that's it.

It was pointed out to me in private mail that its origin doesn't even lie
in English Literature, but rather German:

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens.
[Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.]
                        Friedrich von Schiller
                        _Die Jungfrau von Orleans_

--
G. Branden Robinson             |
Debian GNU/Linux                |                It tastes good.