Re: ITP: task-cups-printing

Hi Mariusz.Przygodzki!

On Tue, 31 Oct 2000, Mariusz.Przygodzki@WAW1.siemens.pl wrote:
> I can not agree.

As I said, it is only my humble opinion :-)

When CUPS goes through, say, three sucessive point releases without breaking
any fundamental functionality, I'll consider it stable enough to be pushed
as Debian's *standard* (as in use it in all default installs, instead of
lprng and lpr), not before.

And I don't mean breaking stuff for *me*: I use the CUPS ML to have a feel
of the amount of trouble other people are having with CUPS. Right now, CUPS
still has a number of features in the immediate TODO-list that are (IMHO)
probably going to take a few point releases to get fully debbuged (such as
compressed jobs).

I expect CUPS to get stable around 1.1.8 or thereabouts. If you can convince
the CUPS, LPRNG and LPR maintainers that CUPS is stable enough NOW, be my
guest. I happen to think that stuff like the duplex printing bug proves
otherwise, but "I've been known to be wrong in the past"(TM) ;-)

  Henrique Holschuh