Re: Misclassification of packages; "libs" and "doc" sections

On Thu, Oct 12, 2000 at 03:05:00AM +0300, Eray Ozkural <erayo@cs.bilkent.edu.tr> was heard to say:

  [snip "yeah we are in agreement, cool" :) ]

> >   Also, are you disagreeing with me, or just restating what I said more
> > succinctly?  It looks like the latter..
> >

> I agree with you about the need for a hiearchy. I might have said it too
> succintly :)
>
> Well, I disagree with you in that the hierarchy should be richer
> than a tree. In an is-a hierarchy with single inheritance, the whole
> hierarchy is a tree (in the formal sense), and an is-a hiearchy
> with multiple inheritance is a directed acyclic graph.
>
> X11_Client   Development_Tool
>   \            /
>    \          /
>     Graphical_Debugger
>          /  \
>         /    \
>       [DDD]  [xxgdb]
>
> You get the idea...

  Ok, I think this is what I meant, except that I was thinking of the UI end.  This is
definitely how to do the datastructure, though.  (suggestions as to how to represent the above
without resorting to GL [1] are welcome ;-) )

> >   I'm not sure I see why this would be useful except for the sake of
> > finding out what subsystem Debian thinks a particular package goes in.
> > This is usually the last thing I care about when looking for software.
> >

> An example is release management. If subsystem boundaries are small
> compared to inter-subsystem dependencies then a subsystem can be
> released as a sub-distribution; the release management can be decoupled
> from that of other sub-systems. Also each subsystem may have different
> formal requirements, in other words this is for implementation of
> the distribution, not the interface :) A user would be less
> interested in this.

  ah, ok.  You may want to look through the archives; people suggest this periodically,
although I don't think anyone ever gave quite such a detailed explanation.

> >   Hm, could you provide references for the research?  I think some
> > cognitive science stuff could be useful as well; I should probably spend
> > some time next weekend reading up on it.
> >

> A friend gave me these URLs to have a look at, but there are
> certainly countless resources on the net. I'll take a
> look at some ontology-based classification systems, too.

  [snip -- I'll put this on the ever-growing queue of stuff I want to look at in the future..
   hopefully that'll be the NEAR future..]

  Daniel

--
/----------------- Daniel Burrows <Daniel_Burrows@brown.edu> -----------------\
|                           We are Debian of Borg.                            |