Re: Avoid duplicate server restarts

On Sun, 08 Oct 2000, Stefan Hornburg wrote:
> Can you think of a way to restart the server only once,
> I both packages got installed ?

My idea would be to create a group-installation system in Debian.  Something
that will get rid of that code in apt to start debconf, because simply
installing a group of packages will run those things specified in the united
group of packages only once.
I may be totally wrong about my facts here, please correct me if I am, but it
sounds like a good idea now :)

For example: ALL packages that have debconf'ers will be in the debconf'd
group [as well as other groups, perhaps], and when apt issues an operation on
a group of packages, it will see that there are ones in the debconf'd group,
and will run that group's pre-install scripts, and post-install scripts
afterwards.   I know this is implemented for debconf, my idea is just to
generalize it to work for any other thing like this, as well.

Your server and UI code will be in the server 'group', and will have a
pre-group or post-group code to restart the server, so it happens once for an
operation on the whole group.