Debian boot system

Hello,
  I've been pondering a new way to boot a Unix system,  and I was hoping to
hear your oppinion about it or if anyone has already attempted to implement
it.

  The problem with current booting systems, is that the booting is
sequential, and each element of the boot process waits for the former
element, although most of those elements are not dependant on all former
elements.

  A simple solution to this problem,  is to describe the boot process with a
simple Makefile, which is more powerful in its description of dependencies,
and could even make management of the boot system simpler.   This Makefile
will also make the booting system easily parallel, using the -j feature of
GNU make.

  The last advantage of this system, is the fact it should increase error
tolerance, increase the booting speed, and thus lower downtime.

  Was this system ever considered?  Should I create a draft Makefile to boot
the system?

Eyal Lotem