ipv6 AAAA record lookup is making programs hang at startup.

Debian Release: Woody (fairly current; within several days of today)

 `ssh' and `xemacs' (a recent beta, hand built) are both (amoung other
 peices of software) hanging at startup.  I ran ethereal, and
 discovered that there's a DNS query happening for the machine's own
 hostname; it's looking in DNS for it's own ipv6 AAAA record.

 Is there any way I can tell the system *not* to do that?

 What can I do to cure this?

 Our users will undoubtedly experience it also if we don't devise a
 general solution.