Sorry about the prior cc: on the list mail.

Branden Robinson <branden@ecn.purdue.edu> writes:
> A parallel mirror network could be set up

Sure.

Of course I don't think it it takes an unreasonable reading of the GR
to conclude that that parallel mirror network, in order to operate,
would have to:

 * Accept uploads

 * Use dinstall (or some similar tool) to verify and install uploads

 * maintaining mirror lists

 * initiating push-mirroring

 * oh, yeah, and find bandwidth and hosts :-)

Not impossible, but I think it bears pointing out that setting up a
parallel mirror network is necessarily a simple job.  The load would
be lower that the main archive since there's fewer packages and less
updating involved, but there's still a lot of administrivia to be
undertaken.

> If the transition is handled well, and if there are people willing
> to do the work -- if there are as many people willing to work for
> the continued support of non-free .deb packages as there are to
> argue about this General Resolution, then the impact on our users
> need not be very large at all.

And if there aren't, then the impact on our users is significant.
Please don't minimize the possibility of this outcome.

Mike.