Re: What about a non-free compiler? (Re: new port: debian-win32. when ?)

Eray Ozkural writes:
 > Would it be okay
 > to distribute package binaries generated with the non-free compiler?

No, at least because you would loose one of the benefits of free
software.  For example, I imagine it's quite easy for a compiler to
add a troyan to the binary - well, only in binaries big enough so that
noone would ever notice...

 > My guess is that it would be okay, even better. What
 > do you think? If there is a compiler that does a better
 > job than gcc, I'd like to try binaries done with that.

Well, you can still recompile them yourself if you want, and maybe
make them available, but I believe they would not be accepted into the
distribution.

Or maybe they can live in contrib.  You could either build a package
for the compiler in non-free (if redistribution of the compiler is
allowed) or an installer package in contrib.  I think there already
has been such a situation, but then there was no free replacement.

 > But assume that the non-free
 > alternative is so much better, and a free alternative won't
 > be here for a long time

It may be slightly better in the short run (is it even worth ?  Did
you bench the executables ?), but a better long-term alternative would
be to identify what this compiler does when it's better.

For example, Sun cc used to be far better on Solaris than gcc, until
gcc 2.8.x I think.  Current gcc 2.95.x are now on par with this
non-free expensive one.

Will you take the challenge ?  There are plenty of guys (check the
addresses, I'm not sure of all of the first: gcc@gnu.org,
gcc@packages.debian.org) around there who would be quite motivated by
a benchmark showing significant improvement in the compiled code, so I
think you could try to launch this.

 > PS: I'm not referring to any existent product. I only
 > know of KAI C/C++ which might function as a replacement,
 > but I don't think it has the sort of compatibility outlined
 > above. Or does it?

I don't know of this one.  Well-behaved C compilers should respect the
ABI of the system for which they compile, so the C compatibility
is nearly certain.  As for C++, I don't know of 2 different compilers
that would be compatible with each other.

Best wishes for this new project ;)
--
Yann Dirson    <ydirson@altern.org> |    Why make M$-Bill richer & richer ?
debian-email:   <dirson@debian.org> |   Support Debian GNU/Linux: