Re: "Speeding up dpkg" or "ldconfig -l in postinst allowed ?"

On Mon, Feb 28, 2000 at 01:31:13PM +0100, Gregor Hoffleit wrote:
> I see. Just out of curiosity, would it be possible to speed up ldconfig by
> introducing some kind of incremental rebuilding of the cache ? Without

Not really, or at least not easily.

> having looked at the source, I have the impression that currently ldconfig
> completely rebuilds the complete cache from scratch on every invocation.

What is needed is a way to have ldconfig once at the end whenever any
shared libraries are installed.  Such a feature would also benefit
other packages such as menu which need to do something after all
packages are installed.

David
--
David Engel