Re: Another predefined group in /etc/group: ups?

On Wed, Feb 23, 2000 at 08:16:31PM -0800, Luca Filipozzi wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 24, 2000 at 12:46:19AM +0200, Shaul Karl wrote:
> > This is only a preliminary inquiry about the possibility of having a ups entry
> > in /etc/group.
> >
> > Are there other methods to deal with it? In particular, is there a suitable
> > group in the current /etc/group?
>
> Personally, I am not in favour of an additional group. Isn't group daemon
> sufficient?

I was wondering about the daemon user, some daemons are run as nobody
and some are run as daemon... when should which user be used?  is
daemon permitted to own files? (nobody is/should not) the policy does
not seem to comment on this..

for example xfs-xtt and xfstt have a -user option, both of which use
user nobody, this however causes files to be created owned by nobody,
should they use daemon, or does a user need to be allocated for these?

is there any place where i can find information on the purpose of all
the users present by default in most linux/unix systems? (bin, daemon,
sys, shutdown, sync, operator...)

--
Ethan Benson