Re: wterm in potato

On Mon, 21 Feb 2000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 20, 2000 at 05:19:13PM +0100, Josip Rodin wrote:
> > > You could provide an argument as to why it's better not to provide these
> > > packages at all, than to offer them in their existing semi-broken state.

If we start a crusade against semi-broken software in Debian, wterm should
be either purged from the distribution (woody included), or the Debian
maintainer/someone else should become its new upstream maintainer and start
bringing it up-to-date IMNHO. Read below before flaming me over this, and
I'm NOT advocating such crusade.

wterm was forked as a eye-candy testbed from an old rxvt and hasn't seen
much (if any) backporting of the tons of bugfixes rxvt has seen since,
AFAIK. I hunted the net for wterm documentation (found almost nothing),
downloaded the upstream sources for rxvt, aterm and wterm and compared
changelog entries, so I'm probably not mistaken on this one.

>From Largo's www pages, and stuff incluided in wterm's tarball, I gather
that wterm's purpose 'in life' is to test some new features, which are to be
(eventually) folded back into rxvt. It's not inteded as general comsumption
high-quality software. wterm really isn't a terminal program you should be
using if you care about the 'terminal' part of a terminal program.

I actually dislike the fact that wterm's unusual priorities are not made
clear in the package description...

> But if it works fine for most users (eg English speakers), why deprive
> them of it? It doesn't sound like this bug is even severity: important
> to me; it's just a regular bug.

Well, it was RC for the submitter, and the maintainer declined to downgrade
the bug as it was his right and _duty_ if he thought the bug wasn't RC.
There's no reason to bash the bug submitter over it again and again.

I really like the idea of a new RC bug severity, equivalent to "normal" but
with the "this bug makes the package unaceptable in the stable distribution
due to quality assurance reasons" connotation. That should make things much
simpler for the bug submitter.

  Henrique Holschuh