Re: bug in cursor window control - but which package?

On Thu, Feb 17, 2000 at 04:55:11PM -0500, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 18, 2000 at 08:14:29AM +1100, Hamish Moffatt was heard to say:
> > On Thu, Feb 17, 2000 at 09:16:31AM +0000, Gordon Russell wrote:
> > > There appears to be a strange bug somewhere in unstable Debian, but I
> > > cannot work out what it is, or which package it is in.
> >
> > It's been happening to me for years. I think there's bug reports against
> > rxvt for it. I couldn't get it to happen just now, actually, so maybe
> > there's been a fix. Mostly noticeable in vi.
>
>   I see this in xterms in potato..I mentioned it a few weeks ago on this list
> and was told it's a problem in the terminfo files (?)
>
>   Daniel

Hmmm. /etc/terminfo/x contains lots of xterm-* things. Maybe I am not
using the right TERM. I changed to xterm-xfree just now, and the immediate
impression I am getting is that I cannot reproduce the problem. Of course,
the error is sporadic, so it may just be good luck that is causing it!

Anyway, what are all these xterm-* terminfo files for? And why are there
loads more in /usr/share/terminfo/x ? Loads of otmistic looking ones,
e.g. xterm-xf86-v40 and the like. Why does everything in Unix have to be
so complicated (sigh).

G.

--
Gordon Russell