Re: I don't want to use xterm, why am I forced to use it any way?

Tomohiro KUBOTA wrote:

> Hi,
>
> From: "Eric Weigel" <ericw@bestnet.org>
> Subject: Re: I don't want to use xterm, why am I forced to use it any way?
> Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 20:28:41 -0500
>
> > Maybe there should be something called "sensible-xterm", which checks
> > the environment for some variable, say XTERM or XTERMINAL, or invokes
> > x-terminal-emulator if no environment variable is defined.
>
> I agree.  Though for most European people this mechanism provides only
> 'user preference', we non-European people need this mechanism because
> we have to choose a terminal to display our native languages.
>
> Imagine a machine which has Japanese and French users.
>
> For example:
>
> Japanese: kterm or krxvt (in rxvt-ml package)
> Korean: hanterm
> Thai: xiterm+thai

Should the default terminal be a install time configurable option? For example,
when you install xterm, it would ask you if you want to make it the default
terminal, and when you install rxvt it would ask you if you want to make it the
default terminal. All references to a terminal should be an x-terminal-emulator
or some other. In this fashion, there is flexibility for terminals which support
Japanese / Chinese / Korean characters.

Paul Lowe
spazz@ulink.net