Re: I don't want to use xterm, why am I forced to use it any way?

Can I make a suggestion?

The x-terminal-emulator alternative is system wide default.

Whereas, the choice of x-terminal is really a user preference, just
like the choice of text editor.

So, can it be handled the same way?  If I want to invoke an editor from
a script or program, I can use sensible-editor, which checks the
environment for VISUAL or EDITOR, and then does the right thing.

Maybe there should be something called "sensible-xterm", which checks
the environment for some variable, say XTERM or XTERMINAL, or invokes
x-terminal-emulator if no environment variable is defined.

That way, a user could set their preference in .gnomerc or some other
startup file, "Run from terminal" could use sensible-xterm, etc.

Eric

ps: is there a reason why the list does not have a "Reply-To:
debian-devel@lists.debian.org" in the message headers?