Re: Gnome and no window manager!

On Thu, Feb 17, 2000 at 06:50:38AM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
> ruud@ruud.org (Ruud de Rooij) writes:
>
> > Try starting windowmaker manually.  Probably the session manager will
> > pick it up and restart it for you on the next login.  I agree that
> > this is not how it should be, obviously.
>
> I have done this.  I have to start windowmaker manually each time I
> start gnome.  I think that the problem is related to the error in that
> gnome-errors file I posted, but I don't know where that error comes
> from.

Not sure if this will be any help, but I saw something similar to this
too (but starting session manager from an ~/.xsession and with fvwm2)

Gnome would take a *long* time to start fully, and after 2-4 startups
no more wm.

In the end the fix here was to make sure *NO* other xclients get started
before the session manager did (I had an xterm being opened still in
.xsession).  It still took a couple of restarts before it settled down
to behaving consistantly, but now it starts quickly and I haven't had
any problems since..

dunno if this helps you any though :-/

  Ron