Re: TrueType and xfs

    Branden> People submitting huge patches like this that are feature
    Branden> enhancements (as opposed to bug fixes) get one chance to
    Branden> get it right.

Branden, you may be being unduly harsh; this was a buglet in the patch
that's been fixed since July of last year.  I agree the bug shouldn't
have been there in the first place, but it's been fixed.

Truetype font support is almost 100% required for a lot of folks who
need decent Japanese character support (the only scalable Japanese
fonts that are easily available are truetype) -- and also for
graphic designers, who can only get most of their fonts in truetype
these days.

If we force them to install xfs-xtt or xfsft and edit
/etc/X11/XF86Config by hand to add "unix/:7101" to their font path,
we're asking a lot of folks who don't want to worry about these
things.

Also, there are problems in setups with an external xfs; when the xfs
is restarted while X is running, X will often crash hard when it tries
to contact xfs again. Having native truetype support in the server
is such a boon for these cases. It prevents a lot of "mysterious
crashes" that even I've run into.

Of course it's your choice, you're the X maintainer. :) But 4.0 may
still be a long, long way off, and this patch has been accepted
upstream in 3.9, so..

Ben

--
Brought to you by the letters V and M and the number 16.
"You have my pills!"