Re: ActiveState Perl 5.6 beta for Debian?!!

[I'm not on debian-perl]

On Thu, Feb 17, 2000 at 10:29:49AM -0500, Michael Alan Dorman wrote:
> http://www.activestate.com/cgibin/ActivePerl/download.pl
>
>  1) duplicated work to little avail on their part---our perl packages
>     seem generally held in pretty high regard on the perl development
>     list---as opposed to those of RedHat which are pretty thoroughly
>     reviled (now if Tom C. could just get it through his head that all
>     Linux' are not RedHat, we'd be in good shape), and

If you approach Tom C., don't say "Debian GNU/Linux" - he's allergic to
the GNU part.

I get the feeling that this is some kind of marketing stunt by
AvtiveState. Nobody has mentioned this on perl5-porters, even though the
development of perl5.6 is done by Gurusamy Sarathy, now an ActiveState
employee.

>  2) a potential bugaboo for us, as people who install it and then file
>     bugs about perl packages in Debian not working with this other
>     version of Perl they've got installed.

The webpages mention an installation directory of /usr/local/perl56beta1
or something, so that won't be a problem (unless they put it at the
front of the path and the Debian packages call an unqualified "perl").

I suggest those who want to follow the development of the new perl
features just compile their own version, or download this one if they're
really lazy. Others can just ignore this. None of it impacts Debian.

--
The idea is that the first face shown to people is one they can readily
accept - a more traditional logo. The lunacy element is only revealed