Re: should we split up the Packages file in main (for woody)

Sven Rudolph (sr1@loom.sax.de) wrote:
> ressu@uusikaupunki.fi writes:
>
> > ok, lets face it.. the packages file in slink is something like
> > <500K (in i386) in potato its >800K.. i think it might be time to
> > start splitting it up...
>
> I don't understand how this will reduce the summarized size of all the
> parts.

say something in main/net changes. if the package files are split up, you
only need to get main/net (which may be <3k). if the package files remain
monolithic, you need to get several hundred k. i live way out in the sticks
and connect with a 28.8 from home. trust me, a few hundred k do matter.

> If the problem is download time over low-bandwith links you should get
> them via rsync.
>
> It were nice if apt supported rsync.

this has been discussed. the earlier in a file the change occurs, the less
help rsync can be to transfer time. even a small change in the beginning of
a file can render rsync almost useless. rsync makes more sense for huge
binary files like filesystem images.