Re: /usr/local again

On Mon, 14 Feb 2000, Torsten Landschoff wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 14, 2000 at 11:35:24AM -0500, Jacob Kuntz wrote:
>
> > it goes on to say that the installation system may create directory stubs
> > bin, games, include, lib, sbin, share, and src.
> >
> > the fhs never says it's ok to delete anything under /usr/local. the
> > directory stubs are there as guidance for the local adminstrator. these
> > should be created by the install system and never touched again by any
> > package.
>
> That would be inconsistent. If you install a package and later decide that
> you don't need it removing the package should get rid of any directories
> it created in /usr/local IF they are empty.

Why not treat these directories the same way we treat configuration files.
That is, the directories remain, under a normal Remove, but are "properly"
removed if a Purge is requested. This leaves the control in the hands of
the admin, where it belongs.

My personal tendency would be to follow a "strict" interpretation of the
standard, and only create directories when not present, never removing
any nodes from the /usr/local tree, but that's just my personal
preference.

Luck,

Dwarf