Re: netbase 3.16-10 and TCP SYN cookies being enabled by default

On Sun, 13 Feb 2000, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
>         syncookies seriously violate TCP protocol, do not allow
>         to use TCP extensions, can result in serious degradation
>         of some services (f.e. SMTP relaying), visible not by you,
>         but your clients and relays, contacting you. While you see
>         synflood warnings in logs not being really flooded, your server
>         is seriously misconfigured.

IMHO this looks like reason enough to have SYN cookies disabled (actually,
untouched as it was before) by default, and to at least output "TCP SYN
cookies enabled." in the init.d script when enabling it.

Should I file an important bug against netbase?

  Henrique Holschuh