Re: netbase 3.16-10 and TCP SYN cookies being enabled by default

On Sun, Feb 13, 2000 at 09:05:59PM +0000, Philip Blundell wrote:
> The kernel default is just that, a default.  I've seen no evidence that the
> kernel developers actively want syncookies to be disabled at bootup.

Syncookies were originally active at all times when compiled into the
kernel. Later things changed so that it took a specific action to enable
syncookies, even if the kernel supported them. That wasn't done
accidentally. Maybe it was done for reasons that don't apply to debian,
but shouldn't you know exactly what the rationale was before lobbying to
override it?

--
Mike Stone