Re: should we split up the Packages file in main (for woody)

On Sun, Feb 13, 2000 at 03:27:08PM -0500, Jacob Kuntz wrote:
> ressu@uusikaupunki.fi (ressu@uusikaupunki.fi) wrote:
> > we could try the following,
> > lets create a master source file for each distribution, user then could
> > have a choice of download places for those directories. in addition we
> > would split the packages file, to include just the directory it is in (ie.
> > libs, base, devel...) in that way we could reduce the amount that users
> > have to download... (well those who run unstable atleast)
>
> i like the idea of having less to download, but need i ask the question of
> migrating? perhaps for the time being, update both the new smaller files
> and the current monolith. but how will we get the new sources.list out to
> users?

i was about to send a new mail about one thing i left out.. we could & should leave the current system there too, it might be nice to make this optional at first...

i was also thinking about something like a CGI to cgi.debian.org which would give out the list of current hosts and directories, in a parseable format.

the configuring program then could download the latest list..

OR, we could include the list on the ftp/http sites itself, and it would be updated like the Packages file is updated now...

--
get a life, get the second one free...