Re: concensus on removing TeX and Emacs from standard

On Sat, Jan 01, 2000 at 02:52:59PM +1100, Brian May wrote:

>     Magnus> From: Tomasz Wegrzanowski <maniek@beer.com> Subject: Re:
>     Magnus> concensus on removing TeX and Emacs from standard Date:
>     Magnus> Fri, 31 Dec 1999 20:50:46 +0100
>
>     >> While we are cutting half of Std now, why do we have 3 english
>     >> dictionaries in Std ? (iamerican, ibritish and wenglish).
>     >> Couldnt they be merged somehow ?
>
>     Magnus> American English differ too much from British English,
>     Magnus> there is not propper way of spelling things like
>     Magnus> meter/metre etc.
>
> In that case, why are there two packages for American english:
>
> iamerican and wenglish
>
> but only one package for non British English:
>
> ibritish
>
> ?
>
> This means, there is no British word list to use for the 'L'ookup
> command within ispell (unless something has changed since slink).
>
> For instance, with ispell and ibritish installed (no other
> dictionaries):
>
> - ispell lookup option doesn't work.
>
> - ispell accepts both authorize and authorise as correct spelling.  I
> thought authorize was American spelling...

Irritating isn't it?  ibritish is nothing more than iamerican with some
Real English words tacked on.  Very annoying when someone like me (a
Canadian) has to spell check a formal essay, and I can't even get an
accurate spell checker.

BTW, do you know of a good word list of Real and only Real English I can
get?  I still need that spell checker.

"If you continue running Windows, your system may become unstable."
     -- Windows 95 BSOD

Dwayne C. Litzenberger - dlitz@cheerful.com

See the mail headers for GPG/advertising/homepage information.