Question for Debian XFCom_Rage128 HOWTO

I am preparing a short HOWTO on installing the XFCom_Rage128
xserver on a Debian (slink) system.  This is fairly straight
forward using alien and the SuSE RPMs, however there is one thing
I have not been able to figure out.  The SuSE server needs
libregframe which can be preloaded by adding the library to
/etc/ld.so.preload or by setting the environment variable
LD_PRELOAD.  Some other applications (notably the non-free
acroread) will not run with regframe preloaded.  When using
startx, a user can set LD_PRELOAD before running startx and then
unset it in a shell before starting acroread.  This doesn't work
with xdm so I've used ld.so.preload, but AFAIK there is no way to
disable ls.so.preload on an application by application basis, so
things like acroread cannot be run.  Is there a place that I can
set LD_PRELOAD so that xdm sees it, but so that the user's shells
and window managers do not?

Mike

P.S.  Draft howto is at http://www.debian.org/mmiller/Debian-XFCom_Rage128.HOWTO.html

--
Michael A. Miller                      mmiller3@iupui.edu
  Krannert Institute of Cardiology, IU School of Medicine