Re: /etc/profile should include sbin in PATH

On Dec 19, Nils Jeppe wrote:
> > Many binaries in these directories serve dual purposes and are useful to both
> > normal users and the administrator, For example ifconfig, lsmod, traceroute
> > all live in /usr/sbin or /sbin.
>
> ...which are not programs the day-to-day user really ought to use
> anyway. Okay, traceroute maybe, but the rest? No way.

ifconfig is useful to see what interfaces are attached to the machine.
lsmod is useful to see which modules are loaded (so you can diagnose
  problems with kerneld and kmod).

Root is not the only user who needs this information, particularly
when trying to diagnose problems.  In a network setting, your local
sysadmin probably has to deal with dozens of other users, and
collecting this info before he gets there will save him and you time.

In any event, we don't need to make normative decisions about the
value of commands to users... either it can't do anything unless it's
root (and belongs in /sbin or /usr/sbin) or it can do something as a
normal user (and belongs in /bin or /usr/bin).  That's the sole
crtierion in the FHS.

Chris
|        Chris Lawrence        |             The Linux/m68k FAQ             |
|   <quango@watervalley.net>   |   http://www.linux-m68k.org/faq/faq.html   |
|   Grad Student, Pol. Sci.    |           Your site belongs here.          |
|  University of Mississippi   |       [Commercialize your sig today!]      |