Re: /etc/profile should include sbin in PATH

Greg Stark wrote:
> /etc/profile currently sets the PATH to:
>
> PATH="/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games"
>
> It should include /usr/sbin and /sbin in the PATH. While these directories are
> intended to contain binaries mainly useful to the administrator it was never
> intended that these binaries should be denied to normal users.

I quote the FHS (pre-2.1), which Debian is moving to according to the latest
Policy document:

      ``Deciding what things go into "sbin" directories is simple: If a
        normal (not a system administrator) user will ever run it directly,
        then it should be placed in one of the "bin" directories. Ordinary
        users should not have to place any of the sbin directories in their
        path.''

Although it doesn't say that the ordinary users must not have the sbin
directories in their PATH, it explicitly states that they should not have
to. The difference between bin and sbin is that the latter contain binaries
_mostly_ used for administration tasks only. Which leads to the conclusion
that there is no reason (FHS-wise) to include them in everyone's PATH.

		Remco