Re: Debian on a 386? Unlikely. (was: ramblings about old hardware, gzip, bz2, and pentium opts)

On Tue, Dec 07, 1999 at 12:18:10PM -0400, Ben Armstrong wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Dec 1999, Philipp Lopaur wrote:
> > The solution may be a new arch (i686) ..... but that would require
> > recompiling
> > everything, and package developers would have double load... compile for
> > i386 and i686
>
> Surely this could be automated?  I don't see why it would come down
> to making any more work for the package developers.
>
> Ben
My main concern is that the optimizations are going to be too intel centric
I know for a fact that if you compile a program with -mpentium-pro
it faults in nasty ways on an AMD k6. Are you proposing that
Intel P2, Celeron, and PIII are the only worthwhile propcessors, or just that
anyone besides Intel is unimportant?

Frank aka Myth