Re: The end of GIF format [was : Dangerous precedent being set - possible serious violation of the GPL ]

On 12/03/99, Raul Miller addressed "Re: The end of GIF format [was : Dangerous precedent being set - possible serious violation of the GPL ]":
> On Fri, 3 Dec 1999, Raul Miller wrote:
> > > By the time woody is released, it's likely the gif patent will have
> > > expired.
>
> On Fri, Dec 03, 1999 at 03:34:58PM +0100, Nils Jeppe wrote:
> > Patents are good for 17 years or so. When was lzw patented? And when was
> > it patented in countries other than the US? Remember, Debian is global.
>
> The law's been changed, 20 years.  Which means that it lasts until
> June 19, 2003.

Pardon my addition to this thread, but looking at the Linux kernel
sources today, it's evident that to make Debian GIF-free, the logo
image would also have to be changed or deleted.  If that's any
indication of its pervasive use, the GIF format would be toilsome to
remove completely.  Is the matter so pressing to make it worthwhile?
For 3.5 years?

Jesse