lha (Re: Release-critical Bugreport for November 5, 1999)

At Sat, 6 Nov 1999 18:49:25 -0600,
Chris Cheney <ccheney@cheney.cx> wrote:

> [1  <text/plain; us-ascii (quoted-printable)>]
> > >
> > > Can't we remove the package if we don't get a proper license for it?
> >
> > lha is fairly old. i have some doubts that we can find upstream maintainers
> > to give it a proper license :-(

> Does lha really not have a license or was it just not included in
> the deb?  I have the original gz file around here somewhere and all
> the text is in Japanese.  I just wanted to point out that the
> developer of lha is japanese and for the most part all the lha
> releases were japanese language only for the documentation, in case
> someone may have overlooked that fact.

Hmm, I looked over lha's documents, but I can only found the followings
statement regarding to copyright/licence in it:
(from lha-1.14e/README.euc, my translation)

 You can freely distribute on the Net, however, if you want to distribute by
 other means (such as Magazine, CD-ROM and so on), contact to
 tsugio@muc.biglobe.ne.jp before you distribute.  Please include the
 information about which media you distribute this.  Even if it's impossible,
 You MUST send me the information in the future.

Is this ok for /usr/doc/lha/copyright?

Anyway, we, Debian JP Project, are now contacting to upstream authors.
But, according to the author's web pages, his response might take more
than months....

Best regards,
Fumitoshi UKAI