Re: Uninstallable Packages

On Thu, Oct 07, 1999 at 08:12:46PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 05, 1999 at 10:13:51PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > I'm experimenting with a script to work out whether packages are
> > installable or not. I figured the world at large might be interested in
> > some of the results.
>
> Some more experimentation. This time limited to main, but across i386,
> m68k, sparc, alpha and powerpc architectures. This doesn't reflect
> whether packages in an architecture are up to date or not.
>
> Statistics are:
> 	i386 has 55 uninstallable packages -- 3494 total
> 	alpha has 73 uninstallable packages -- 3246 total
> 	sparc has 87 uninstallable packages -- 3191 total
> 	m68k has 92 uninstallable packages -- 3205 total
> 	powerpc has 100 uninstallable packages -- 3149 total

And how many of those package are uninstallable because the i386 folk
uploaded a binary-all version of a package and a binary-powerpc package
depends on the exact version of it.

For example, i think it has been a long time since i upgraded the kbd
package, since kbd depends on the same version of kbd-data, but the
i386 kbd package seems to be constantly one or two version numbers
ahead of the other archs. The same goes with gnome-games, and some
other packages.

Is it correct to remove binary-all packages from the repository while
they are still other packages depending on them ?

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER