Re: Can I have a package with no real name of upstream maintainer?

On Wed, Sep 29, 1999 at 10:56:53PM -0400, Raul Miller wrote:
> PGP is legally classified in the same category as atomic weapons.

No, it's not.  Atomic weapons are controlled by international treaties,
and AFAIK it would be a serious offence for me - or any other Finn -
to have some in my possession [Scandinavia is a nuke-free zone, IIRC].
PGP is not regulated in Finland (except by ordinary copyright issues).
Well, Wassenaar might be adding some restrictions, but they wouldn't
apply as PGP is "in the public domain" according to the Wassenaar people.

> [You know that the U.S. is in a state of emergency about this issue,
> and has been for a number of years, right?]

It made big news on /. a while back, so yes, I know.  However, from the
discussion I was left under the impression that the state of emergency
was not for cryptography but for real weapons export control.  Crypro just
happens to be classified as weaponry by the USA.

                                  ""
                             (John Cage)