Re: Packages should not Conflict on the basis of duplicate functionality

* "Michael" == Michael Stone <mstone@debian.org> wrote:

Michael> On Sat, Sep 25, 1999 at 01:02:44AM -0700, Joey Hess wrote:
>> The Doctor What wrote:
>> > Why shouldn't *all* daemon packages ask these questions, and whether to even
>> > run *upon install*?
>>
>> Because we need to decrease the number of questions asked at install time,
>> not increase it.

Michael> Bzzt. Security is more important than usability. We're not
Michael> building windows 2000 here...

Ii I install a daemon, I want to use it. So it is the obvious step to
automatically activate it. Debian packages installed should be usable
without further manual steps. This is why no program may depend on
environment variables. This is why any programm has to ship a default
config if possible.

If you fear for security, then the default config of this package is
not good enough, not the fact that it is shipped in a "ready to use"
condition.

Ciao,
	Martin