Re: Funding for a Crazy Idea

Hello again Joey,

On Fri, 24 Sep 1999, Joey Hess wrote:

> Helen McCall wrote:
> > In the meanwhile; If you are prepared to accept funding from such a
> > source, there is always NATO. They fund many such things if they are
> > giving good participation to what NATO calls "Sensitive Areas".
>
> Weird.

Yes! That is what I thought some years ago when I first learnt of this.

I have just been looking at the NATO web site, and they appear to have
changed for the better in recent years. Now they make no reference to
sensitive areas. Their science and technology programmes are now more
generally aimed at promoting world peace!

The NATO website can be found here: <http://www.nato.int/science/cst.htm>

It looks very promising. I read through a lot of the details and it may be
that a conference/workshop on the development of Debian Gnu/Linux and
Debian Gnu/Hurd fits into the NATO guidelines. You would need to organise
it as an Advanced Research Workshop (ARW). There is scope in the
guidelines for projects doing technical development of existing operating
systems like Debian. You need to read through all the documentation
carefully.

One part of the documentation, preparing the actual application for an
ARW, may be found in the following PDF file:

	<http://www.nato.int/science/bestpractice/arw.pdf>

> > Such areas include Portugal, Greece, Turkey, etc. Do you have any
> > developers in these countries? A full list of such countries can be
> > obtained from the NATO web site (forgotten the address).
>
> I'd be surprised if we don't, but I don't really know offhand. Anyone?

What is needed is for someone to compile a list of all Debian Developers
and their geographical addresses. This is something you have said yourself
before. Volunteers?

Best wishes,

Helen McCall

E-Mail: helen@dinoflagellate.demon.co.uk