problems with the perl5 packages

Well, in recovering my system, it became necessary to install dpkg-dev,
who's current version requires perl5. I chose to upgrade to perl-5.005,
but while installing perl-5.005-base I was forced to use
--auto-deconfigure on several packages that depended upon perl. When the
smoke cleared, after installing the complete perl-5.005 package, I could
not re-configure either libnet-perl, or mirror, both of which depend upon
perl.

After looking over things, both perl-5.004 and perl-5.005 replace perl and
provide perl5, but neither of them provide perl!

Shouldn't perl-5.005 provide perl? Or should mirror depend upon perl5? If
both of these packages have the correct dependencies, where do I get a
version of perl that provides perl, that will install beside perl-5.005?

Waiting is,

Dwarf